Calicoforum.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laser mounting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Calicoforum.com Forum Index -> Scope Mounts & Bases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big shrek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Laser mounting Reply with quote

Just attached a laser to the rail on top of the magazine...but noticed that the magazine has a little bit of play. Is there a way to reduce the bounce? or should I even worry about it?
kbz10troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Ooops! Reply with quote

There isn't any rail "on top of the magazine". There is a rail on the accssory sight mount that kind of wraps around the magazine, and there's an accessory laser mounting rail that attaches to the frame and barrel and sits above the barrel, but what are you mounting the laser to?
big shrek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rail that holds the rear sight...it's called a Standard 3/8th's .22 mount...old school, to be sure, because nobody makes those nifty little replacement rear sights that fit on said rail anymore...but a old 1990's Laser for a .22 rifle I had with a 3/8th's rail fits perfectly on it. Old BB guns also use that size rail.

There is also a nifty kit available in OLD gun stores that puts weaver rails on those old 3/8th's rail...but still...the mag jiggles a little for mounting things on it...but I'll try firing it with the laser tonight and see how it works.
kbz10troy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Again... Reply with quote

Big Shrek, I think you might be mistaken about the "rail mount", or it might be me. What gun are you talking about? I'm thinking it might be the pistol because on that one the rear sight is attached to the magazine. But the metal clip/strip that holds the magazine shell together isn't a sight mount, although it might be used for one - until a bump or bang pulls the clip/strip off and magazine parts go flying. Check around and find the proper .22 accessory sight mount and you won't have any problems with the magazine shifting the sight picture because your laser will be mounted on a proper accessory rail. No criticism intended; I'm just trying to help.
big shrek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the M-110 pistol...correct.

it works decently on that mounting at close range, but for the farther repeated shots it's not so good...and my primary use is removing rabbits from my garden.

On the upside I'm scaring the hell outta those rabbits right now!!! ROFL
kbz10troy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Cool! Reply with quote

If it works, great! Having the sight mount on the magazine is an often heard criticism of the Calico design but, as you say, it's not too bad in practice. A couple of things you might try: the notches for the mag mounting can open up and make it a little loose. Sometimes this can be fixed by putting a piece of masking tape on the bottom of the magazine or on the bottom of the magazine "well" to push the mag up slightly. Also, you can buld up the notches with a layer of epoxy; just use a thin film - it's easier to add another layer than to take it off cleanly - and be sure to give it pleny of time to set to full hardness before using it or it'll just squish away.
big shrek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played around with it at the range today...too much light for laser use, so I worked on sight picture & adjustment. I now love the CCi Mini-Mags Smile

CALICO, YOUR STANDARD SIGHT ON THE M-110 SUCKS ROTTEN EGGS.

The inability to adjust the front or rear sight up & down makes them questionable at best. Using the sight As-Is I was shooting nice 2"groups...Low as heck, but nice groups for a windy day. Using proper sight picture and shooting at the top of the target at 25 yards I was grouping 4 inches below the center of the 5-inch target...when I aimed for the center of the target I hit the target below it...LOL...NOT TOO GOOD!!

The left/right windage adjustment did work quite nicely on the front sight, i was enjoying that aspect of it...there has to be a better way to mount a rear sight...I may have to hand-manufacture a few ideas that are tooling around in my head for a more beneficial rear sight with adjustment ability.

I did find out was that many standard shotgun sights meant for the 3/8ths vent rib also FIT on the magazine rail...I'll play more with those later and see if anything is workable. But i've the feeling that the magazine rail just ain't the place to mount a rear sight...or really any sight.

I will be ordering a Calico Accessory sight mount next paycheck...at least then I can put a good Red Dot on it and enhance the potential. Maybe there needs to be a package deal on the Accessory sight with the M-110...something for Calico to think about...buy the pistol, get a scope mount for $40 more...or boost the price and include it with the pistol.
Calico_Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 35 MW green laser, red is old skool. The 35 MW green is alot brighter, good for daytime use
Long_Shot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big shrek wrote:
Played around with it at the range today...too much light for laser use, so I worked on sight picture & adjustment. I now love the CCi Mini-Mags Smile

CALICO, YOUR STANDARD SIGHT ON THE M-110 SUCKS ROTTEN EGGS.

The inability to adjust the front or rear sight up & down makes them questionable at best. Using the sight As-Is I was shooting nice 2"groups...Low as heck, but nice groups for a windy day. Using proper sight picture and shooting at the top of the target at 25 yards I was grouping 4 inches below the center of the 5-inch target...when I aimed for the center of the target I hit the target below it...LOL...NOT TOO GOOD!!

The left/right windage adjustment did work quite nicely on the front sight, i was enjoying that aspect of it...there has to be a better way to mount a rear sight...I may have to hand-manufacture a few ideas that are tooling around in my head for a more beneficial rear sight with adjustment ability.

I did find out was that many standard shotgun sights meant for the 3/8ths vent rib also FIT on the magazine rail...I'll play more with those later and see if anything is workable. But i've the feeling that the magazine rail just ain't the place to mount a rear sight...or really any sight.

I will be ordering a Calico Accessory sight mount next paycheck...at least then I can put a good Red Dot on it and enhance the potential. Maybe there needs to be a package deal on the Accessory sight with the M-110...something for Calico to think about...buy the pistol, get a scope mount for $40 more...or boost the price and include it with the pistol.

Big Shrek LMAO!!!!!
big shrek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got around to doing anything for the Calico's past slapping a red laser on it, I've got too many projects going on...lol

Hopefully, one day, Calico workers MIGHT read the kvetches about their .22 pistol's site and do something...but I kinda doubt it.

Been hoping they'd make a quad-rail for the barrel, like on the carbines...it shouldn't be THAT hard for people with CNC machines...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Calicoforum.com Forum Index -> Scope Mounts & Bases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: